Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ecumenical Council

+5
Azaq
Kingdom of Calabria
House of Judah
Scilenia
Baxelthueda
9 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Ecumenical Council - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ecumenical Council

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:37 am

Origines

I believe that was agreed upon by just about everyone. I'd say blind him, too. Let his dangerous thoughts remain just that - his thoughts.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:43 am

Paulus Eutychios

If we have agreed that he will be punished, it shall be carried out.

However, there is another matter to attend to. The Normans, in italy. What are the thoughts of this council?
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:30 am

Lysander

Perhaps it could be a good idea to send myself and Bishop Philo as we were victims of Rome's aggression. Though, I know not how godless mercenaries would respond to us, perhaps we could make this an Imperial matter and send someone from this fair city to lead the voyage.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Theodosius

I believe that we should send missionaries as soon as possible to the Normans!

With the goths north of Rome, now the normans south of the city, if we can surround the Pope with two orthodox nations, both supported by the Emperor... Our stand will be stronger than ever.

Rome will dare not to make any step against us, if we have the city surrounded. Calabria might convert as well, if they see that they are cut off from the Papal State.

Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Origines

I agree with Lysander, having the Empire involved could be a good thing.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Aegyptus Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:35 pm

Philotheos spoke up. "I too, agree to this." He did not seem to have much to say.
Aegyptus
Aegyptus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:30 am

Emperor Iōánnēs I Philanthropenos

The Patriarchate building was flooded with imperial soldiers, the sound of heavy footfalls could be heard before the brilliant, regal armour was seen. The group of men, some 30 strong, marched in, lining the walls of the gathering room of the Patriarchs. Soon after followed a man in dark purple robes, embellished with gold, a brighter purple cloak was pinned on his right shoulder, a sword at his side, though, not the usual decorative sword an Emperor might carry, but, a sword that looked as though it had seen a campaign or two.

A servant elbowed past the massive grouping of soldiers, and announced to the black-clad Patriarchs: "Introducing: Faithful in Christ, King and Emperor of the Romans, John, son of Alexander, of the Philanthropenos Dynasty.'

The Emperor, clearly quickly tiring of such ceremony, lightly pushed his way past the servant, and spoke.

"You've heard true, Brothers in Christ, I am the King and Emperor of the Romans." Spoke the handsome man, his tanned skin beginning to pale over less time spent in the field, a full, dark brown beard fell so low it nearly covered the regalia the man wore around his neck. Big, hazel eyes pierced straight through the servant like a Damascus blade.

So why then, I must ask, does a petty lord in Milan call himself 'Emperor' why does an encroaching Frankish lord impose himself on Imperial lands?

Does the reign of Constantine mean nothing to these men? Are they so enchanted by the corpse of the pagan Emperors, that they do not remember their history?

I come to you as a pious man, though, I need not step foot here at all, for what I ask of you, I could ask of myself."

John unfurled a map, and set it before the Patriarchs.
Spoiler:

These lands, marked in red, belong, rightfully, to God firstly, then the Empire, and the citizens of the Empire who will see God's will done.

Though I could levy troops, and send them across the Adriatic, to put down the rebellions in the broken kingdoms in the marked areas, I have come to you men of God to approve this campaign first.

My actions will be to occupy the lands, open a discussion with the Bishop of Rome, meet diplomatically with the man in Milan calling himself Emperor, protect trade in the Adriatic from the barbaric Franks, and to impose Imperial dominance over the Normans who savaged the lords of southern Italy."

"What say you, brothers?"
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Theodosius

"The Empire must indeed secure its borders to secure the defense of the True Faith. However, would this not be seen as an aggression by the other rulers across Europe? Would they not unite and seek every means necessary to undermine our authority and presence in the region?"
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Emperor Iōánnēs I Philanthropenos

You speak as though the rulers of Europe have a primal sense of when the Papacy is threatened.

Nevertheless, the Pope can keep his authority, I will ask the him to name me, and my successors as the Defender of Rome, and I shall ask to reconcile the churches,
Whether that is fruitful or not does not matter. He may accept, he may not, other Cardinals may be willing to sway him, or they may be stubborn.
No matter, if he strikes at me, or refuses my offer of peace and reconciliation between the faiths, the world will know of the tyranny of the Bishop of Rome.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5