Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion

+2
Kingdom of Calabria
Scilenia
6 posters

Go down

Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion Empty Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion

Post by Varasd Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 am

Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion Ambrogio_Lorenzetti_hour-glass-time-death-Temperance
Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion

A timeline has been discussed a lot, but there was been no set decision on how to make one. Here you can post your ideas, on how to avoid the problems that could emerge.

My main concern is the following:

X, Y, and Z are RP-ing.

X and Y have a discussion between two characters, and X and Z are in a campaign together.

X posts discussion.
X posts campaign news.

Z posts campaign news.
X replies to campaign news.

Y replies discussion.

However, because Y was only able to post, say, 5 days later, many of the world events already have progressed, ICly whole weeks, when in-characterly, the IC discussion of X and Y progressed only minutes.

Having a set rule for, say, 1 month IRL = 1 year IC, would mean that if a player can reply to something every fourth or fifth day, a discussion would last for a whole year ICly.

All ideas are welcome.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion Empty Re: Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:24 pm

i still think the easiest way to address this issue would be for every post to have a date stamp, when possible. This makes it so that half hour long "conversations" can still take place over the course of a week IRL. In-game time would essentially be controlled by the players who are actively rp-ing together, as opposed to a strict progression where people with hardcore IRL work schedules would end up missing out and being left in the dust.
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion Empty Re: Medieval Europe Timeline Discussion

Post by Varasd Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Calabrian Republic wrote:i still think the easiest way to address this issue would be for every post to have a date stamp, when possible.  This makes it so that half hour long "conversations" can still take place over the course of a week IRL.  In-game time would essentially be controlled by the players who are actively rp-ing together, as opposed to a strict progression where people with hardcore IRL work schedules would end up missing out and being left in the dust.

I like this idea. Let's give it a try.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:50 pm

We first need to come to a consensus on what is the in-game date, right?
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:43 pm

When the region was founded, it was 1000 AD. No specific date for month and day set.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm

So lets imagine it was Jan 1, 1000 when the region was founded (back in oct/nov 2015).

Major events which should take some time would be: the rise of the bogomils, the beginnings of the gepidean civil war, the cyprus quagmire, the death of the pope, and the election of a new pope.

That puts us at what, february 17, 1000?

Hahahhahaha. No but for real, if all those things happened (simultaneously or not), where does that leave us currently?
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm

...oh, and dont forget the first rumblings of the great schism...
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:33 am

Yup. That's what I honestly don't know. How much time would have passed? I mean, my campaign against Transylvania, and conquering Pannonia and Hungary would surely be more than 1 year.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Is it already 1010?
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Scilenia Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 pm

I would say 1010.
Scilenia
Scilenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:06 pm

No seriously id like to get this time thing settled. Because if its 1010 i'm pretty sure i got a PILE of eligible bachelors and bachelorettes. If it's only 1005 they still may be too young and im not tryin to advocate kid touching.
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:33 pm

When we started the RP, my King was around 60 years old. If it's 1010 he should probably be dead by now. I'd say 1005, maybe?
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 pm

He could very well have lived to 70, it's quite possible.

1005 sounds good though.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Okay. Sounds good.

Consensus: IC date is March 19, 1005
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:50 pm

I'll have to accelerate things in the Little Prince then.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Or not. Thats whats good about making using the date-stamp. Each post doesnt have to be exactly "current".
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:04 pm

I think we could do it in the following format:

• 1003, 29th of February: Duke Aimery of Cyprus dies, with it begins the succession crisis of Cyprus, also known as the Game for Cyprus.

Though we still need to decide how we decide about the passing of time. We started in 1000, but now it's 1005. Which events were in 1002, and which ones happened in 1003? How long did each last?

To be honest, I would be happy to appoint a Regional Chronicler, who would be asked to do the record keeping, if anyone is up for the spot.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:12 pm

I dont know about retroactively assigning dates to past events. We could just keep track of the time from here forward.

Each player would have to be cognizant of their date stamp say, if they were moving armies across large swaths of land. And seeing as this is a game i think our best guesses should be good enough.
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:16 pm

And i understand that i'm really the only dude here harpin on everybody about the subject, so if elected, i will gladly be Regional Antiquary.
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Calabrian Republic wrote:And i understand that i'm really the only dude here harpin on everybody about the subject, so if elected, i will gladly be Regional Antiquary.

Very well! You have been appointed as "Regional Antiquary" (I like Chronicler better, but you can choose the name Very Happy )! It shows on our regional page too. Feel free to create the Medieval Europe Timeline in the Regional Diplomacy part of our forums, and I shall sticky it for you!

This thread shall be open for any discussion purpose, like question about the timeline, suggestions, and asking the Regional Antiquary to record events.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Auvergne Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Well, its not much, but I've find a little resume on how travels worked in medieval times.
http://www.rutasramonllull.com/en/traveling-middle-ages

I think we could use the Bogomil Heresy as the basis for the chronology by, for exemple, fixing it in 1000 A.D and from there, estimating the time needed for the actions to took place.
Grand Auvergne
Grand Auvergne

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:46 am

Grand Auvergne wrote:Well, its not much, but I've find a little resume on how travels worked in medieval times.
http://www.rutasramonllull.com/en/traveling-middle-ages

I think we could use the Bogomil Heresy as the basis for the chronology by, for exemple, fixing it in 1000 A.D and from there, estimating the time needed for the actions to took place.

That's a very good and resourceful link, thank you!

I think that would be a good idea too, but the main problem we need to fix is that the timeline could get distorted by the reply time. For example a conversations between characters could take as long as a war, depending on the RP.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Auvergne Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 am

A solution could be just to consider each event, be it a discussion or a war, as if it was in separate dimension, and only once they're over we put them in the main timeline. This way we can let events go their ways without having to really care, until its over and we see our characters should be 110 years old now.
Grand Auvergne
Grand Auvergne

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Auvergne Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Well, It's not so much but I've done a first shot at a timeline from what was post in the local and world news. I've let the rule of "1 month 1 year" except when it was incoherent, which was surprisingly rare :

1000 AD :
Creation of the Crusading State by Bishop-Knight Laurence.
First stone Castle in Varasd.

1001 AD :
Polska conquer Wroclaw
Marienburg become the official capital of the Crusading state
Saudi Babylonia declare religious neutrality and prepare for war with the nomads
The Crown of Bezèque is formed
Gniezno is conquered by Polska
Yitzchah I become King of Judah
Formation of the Kingdom of Jutland
Sucession Crisis in Saexland
Hungarian Tribes accepted in the Duchy of Varasd, Zvonimir I declare himself "King of all the Hungarians".
The inhabitant of the Crusadin State are now known as the Gepidae

1002 AD :
Foundation of Azaq by the Mongols
The Bogomilism is now too strong to ignore. It is declared an Heresy and fought by the sword in Greece, Birthynia and Varasd. Surprisingly, The Kingdom of Calabria seems to recognize the sect as a religion in its own right.
Khan Ganbaatar start the construction of the city of Azaq.

1003 AD :
Since the last months of 1002, Bogomilism as taken roots in Italia and Transylvania, mainly by communities fleeing the persecution. Some of theses refugees reach Azaq where they seek the Khan's protection.
The Varasdian army cross the Danube and raid Transylvania.
Seemingly at first neutral to the Bogomil problem, the Khan suddenly change his mind and purge his country of all Bogomilist elements.
Death of the Duke of Cyprius.

1004 :
Athens acquire lands in Egypt
End of the succession Crisis (maybe extend that one so it last longer)

Work obviously in progress.
Grand Auvergne
Grand Auvergne

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:13 am

That seems very good so far and thank you for all the work input!
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down