Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medieval Sports Thread

5 posters

Go down

Medieval Sports Thread Empty Medieval Sports Thread

Post by House of Judah Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 am

This is a medieval RP. What were the sports of medieval times? The joust, archery and other contests of arms along with horse and foot racing. This thread is for OOC discussion of these sporting events for our region's RP.

Starting out, in order to run a sporting event, we need a scorinator. Xkoronate has a few ready made mechanics for the sorts of contests we would use, though a few (notably the joust) do not. Anyone know how to build new mechanics for Xkoronate or possibly one of the sports that could be used as a substitute? Or possibly how to build a decent scorinator for our purposes in a GoogleDocs spreadsheet?
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Medieval Sports Thread Empty Re: Medieval Sports Thread

Post by Varasd Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Actually, handball was known since the roman era!

Also I've made an olympic games in another region, with random number generators:

"I will use a random number generator set from 1 to 100, for every nation for every competition, most likely this: http://www.randomnumbergenerator.com/custom.asp . All you need to join is to say so, and stay tuned for the results! The exact time of the results in unknown yet, it depends on how many people join, etc.

To ensure fairness, I will make printscreens for every nation before and after the rolls, and document the process as much as possible.

The events will most likely be held in separate days, to have some hype about it, in the following way:

1st round:
People will compete for the top 3 places, meaning that in the first turn, the top 3 nations in the competitions will be able to compete for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the next turn, in the respective events.

For example:

A, B, C, D, E, F, and G nations are competing in running.
In the first round, B, C, and E get the first 3 places.
In the second round, B, C, and E, compete for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place."

There were about 5 types of games.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 am

Two things:

1. We're an RP region. We're here to do role play. A scorinator is needed to add in some random chance but we should have some system of bonuses for RPing.

2. If we are just going to use random number generators instead of an established scorinator like Xkoronate, we can get that from a GoogleDocs spreadsheet which can be more easily verified by other members of the community.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 am

House of Judah wrote:Two things:

1. We're an RP region.  We're here to do role play.  A scorinator is needed to add in some random chance but we should have some system of bonuses for RPing.

2. If we are just going to use random number generators instead of an established scorinator like Xkoronate, we can get that from a GoogleDocs spreadsheet which can be more easily verified by other members of the community.

Agreed, agreed. I'm up for scorinator!
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebsotz Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 pm

A beer drinking contest, I may ask?
Ebsotz
Ebsotz

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:01 am

God, I abandoned this a long time ago (at times I suffer from pretty bad shiny syndrome). I talked with a couple of NS Sporters and the suggestion I was given for how to do a joust is to use an Association Football (Soccer) xkoranate with a series of matches being the tilts. The results are semi-decent, but I'm still playing with it to see if I can find a better system since I can't find a way to give a slight advantage to someone for being particularly good at RPing without it becoming completely unbalanced. Anyone else have any ideas?
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:32 am

House of Judah wrote:God, I abandoned this a long time ago (at times I suffer from pretty bad shiny syndrome).  I talked with a couple of NS Sporters and the suggestion I was given for how to do a joust is to use an Association Football (Soccer) xkoranate with a series of matches being the tilts.  The results are semi-decent, but I'm still playing with it to see if I can find a better system since I can't find a way to give a slight advantage to someone for being particularly good at RPing without it becoming completely unbalanced.  Anyone else have any ideas?

I like this idea! I've been looking for something like this too, but couldn't come up with anything better than variations with a random number generator.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue May 10, 2016 6:51 pm

Eureka!

Or at least, I think it's eureka.  I've spent a while playing with this and here is the result.

The current build works as follows:

• Unless a rider is unhorsed in an earlier round, the riders will make three passes.  If a rider is unhorsed, that is the final pass.
  • Results of the passes are determined by a combination of a d100 roll and a bonus that can be assigned by the event host.
  • To score a pass:

• 1-30: Miss, 0 points
    • 31-70: Lance broken on the body, 1 point
    • 71-90: Lance broken on the helm, 2 points
    • >90 and Your Sum>Opponent Sum: Unhorsed your opponent, 3 points

• After the passes are concluded, the victor is determined by summing the scores from the passes.  If there is a tie but either rider unhorsed his opponent then that rider is the victor.

If your sum is greater than 90 but your opponent's sum was higher, then you don't unhorse and get down graded to breaking your lance on the helm (though I am considering re-allowing simultaneous unhorsings).  I am also considering adding an additional two passes for a total of five (should only be another hour or so of programming... sigh).

The way I would handle the RP bonuses would be like this:

• If you made an IC post during that round, you will get a minimum of 1 point.
  • If you had IC interactions with another player during that round, you will get a minimum of 3 points.
  • Additional bonus points can be awarded by the host based on the quality of the posting.
  • A maximum of 10 bonus points can be assigned in any given round.
  • Bonus point carry over from previous rounds at a rate of 50%, rounded down. (i.e. if 10 point were assigned in two successive rounds, the bonus during the second round will be 15, and if 10 points are assigned again it will be 17 during the third round).
  • Continued use of a character and sustained quality RPing will allow a maximum permanent bonus of 5 points to be assigned for the duration, which does not factor into the round based bonus points to include round maximums and bonus decay.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue May 10, 2016 8:06 pm

And I'm already rethinking and re-balancing the bonus system.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 pm

And a couple hours later I have done a rebuild which expands it to 5 tilts and completely rebuilt the bonus system. Rolls and bonus points are no longer summed, instead the bonus will lower the thresholds. The new bonus system prevents unbalancing the top such that an unhorsing becomes more likely than a helm break.

I would still recommend that the bonuses be kept below 25 to prevent complete game breaking. At 52 bonus point, it becomes impossible to miss. In case you wanted to be ridiculous, at 244 you are guaranteed to at least shatter on the helm and if you hit 628 you are guaranteed to unhorse unless your opponent has the same roll.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed May 11, 2016 8:06 am

Holy Middle Ages!

I love this system! I think we should elevate this as an actual IC regional rule for joustings.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Wed May 11, 2016 2:57 pm

After talking with NS Sport, I've retooled the probabilities again. Now I'm trying to figure out how to and if I should include an injury system.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Thu May 12, 2016 11:50 am

House of Judah wrote:After talking with NS Sport, I've retooled the probabilities again.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to and if I should include an injury system.

Most likely we should - jousting was a hard sport, after all.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebsotz Fri May 13, 2016 4:39 pm

How about "Family Coat of Arms Shield Decor" contest? Long name, but worth the fun! I want to do something involving metal or forgery.
Ebsotz
Ebsotz

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Fri May 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Ebsotz wrote:A beer drinking contest, I may ask?
Ebsotz wrote:How about "Family Coat of Arms Shield Decor" contest? Long name, but worth the fun! I want to do something involving metal or forgery.
I feel like you're not taking Medieval Sports seriously...
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Fri May 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Hosted in Olympia every 4 IC years?
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Cybelos wrote:Hosted in Olympia every 4 IC years?

You could have chariot races in Constantinople. Those were really hype things back in the day. There was even a rebellion which originated from the political parties based on the chariot teams.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannishlands Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 am

I'm hoping this goes forward. I'm a NS sports person who joined this region because I saw the post on Medieval sports. I think that'll be interesting to RP.
Vannishlands
Vannishlands

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 am

Vannishlands wrote:I'm hoping this goes forward. I'm a NS sports person who joined this region because I saw the post on Medieval sports. I think that'll be interesting to RP.  
Coolness. I'm hoping to get something going in the next couple of weeks, maybe sooner now that I've got a jousting scorinator that seems to work alright. And with an NS Sporter, I have someone with a little more experience than I to help me with this stuff and to scorinate any of my matches if there is any doubts to my integrity (though why any should doubt the word of an Arbiter is beyond me...)
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down