Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy Empty Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy

Post by Varasd Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:44 am

Calabrian Republic wrote:Bishop Piero Cosenza: "It is the joint stance of the Calabrian Diocese and the Greater Sicilian Diocese to embrace the Bogomils and let them worship how they see fit.  We can tolerate all means of religious worship.  The teachings of the Gnostics and Priest Bogomil are not without some merit, and deserve further study.  What must be eradicated, not through force, but through proper religious instruction, is the Hedonistic aspects of this sect.  Mainly, one must be vigilant of any inklings of the moral decay that is Messalianism, which has seeped into recent Bogomil thought.  We can have differing religious viewpoints without burning a church to the ground.  We can have an open discussion of ideas without riots.  Above all, we must have Decency and Goodness.  We must reject the extreme sexual indulgences and ritualistic excesses of the Messalian-influenced, while embracing the Bogomils into our flock."

His Holiness the Pope is calling the College of Cardinals together to the Holy See to a discussion, sparked by the statements of Calabrian Bishop Piero Cosenza. The Bishop is openly sympathizing with heretics who have burned churches, killed priests, and committed horrible acts, and worship the Devil himself. They have not only turned away from Jesus Christ, but they are denying it, replacing the Lord with a devilish idol. The Calabrian Bishop Piero Cosenza is supporting this, and thus, we are calling together the College of Cardinals to decide if Piero Cosenza is a heretic or not.

The primary proposal of his Holiness the Pope is the following:

- The Calabrian Republic shall cede his right of investiture to the Pope.
- The Calabrian Republic, and Bishop Piero Cosenza shall openly ask for forgiveness from the Church, which they will be given, if they are asking with a pure heart.
- The Calabrian Republic, with the leadership of Bishop Piero Cosenza shall lead an army against the Bogumil heresy, into the heartlands of their corruption, the Balkans.
- In the Islamic Principality of Malta the Hereditary Head of Government, Emir Harisah al-Ghalib bin Abd Sayf al-Jaza, shall be removed, and his dynasty stripped from rights to govern, or inherit, and a christian noble house shall take his place, selected by the Pope and the Ruler of Calabria together.
- If the Calabrian Republic, and Bishop Piero Cosenza fail to accept these terms, they shall be excommunicated by the Church.

All Cardinals are requested to join this discussion, and after their arguments, vote in favour, or against the proposal of "Excommunication of Calabrian Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy".
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy Empty Re: Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy

Post by Crusader Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:02 pm

The Gepidae Order fully supports His Holiness' proposal. We in our piety would go so far, as to be willing to enforce His word by force.
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy Empty Re: Accusation of Bishop Piero Cosenza for Heresy

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:38 pm

If the bishop had seen the destruction of churches and temples that the Archbishop of Thessaly had seen, and written me about, he wouldn't be so willing to accept these barbarians into his flock.

Cardinal Lysander approves the motion.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 am

The Archduke had grown weary over the past year. A lifetime of battle and diplomacy can catch up with you; let alone the recent death of his wife this past autumn. Going into his first Christmas without her had pulled him into a deep depression. On top of that there was this cough he could not shake. The 74 year old was exhausted. He had just woken up from an unrestful slumber when there was a rather loud banging on his chamber door.
"Oof. Come in," he coughed.
It was his manservant Guido. "Your Grace! News from Reggio! It is urgent!" He began to unravel the tale of the Bogomil Gnostics, their exploits, and the subsequent statements made by Bishop Cosenza.
Saverio sighed, "Piero has my interests in mind: Liberty and Goodness above all else. But he is naïve and lacks the good sense to keep his mouth shut when others should be speaking. Does he vie for leadership? Does he desire a coup to consolidate power and create legislation? Send for him immediately; and send for his brother Marco, Duke of Apennino." Guido nodded, scribbling notes as the Archduke spoke. "Guido, also send for the Emir and his son Sheik Hadi, and my son Luca, the Grandmarshall. They will be needed. As soon as all have arrived we shall ride to Rome to put a stop to this foolishness.
"At once, Your Grace," and Guido was off.

It was the first time since Filomena died that Saverio had been traveling outside of San Donato. He mostly left matters to the Dukes, but this time his attention and his presence were needed. Even so, he was not sure if he was healthy enough to make the trek. The journey was longer than he remembered and Rome had somehow gotten bigger since he had been there last.
Weakly, but with the aide of his manservant Guido, Saverio walked to where the College of Cardinals held their meetings. His company followed.

With a voice which demands respect, and one not suited for his age and conditon, Saverio addressed the Cardinals. "We have come to rectify this situation. We are ready for questioning."
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:53 am

Very good, let's start off. Your Grace do you accept the Pope's proposal or not?
Secondly, do you agree that Bishop Cosenza should be declared a heretic?
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:32 am

"Your Holiness, bretheren, please.  These terms seem quite excessive.  Now, it is true that, upon examination of the tenets of these Bogomil Gnostics, their beliefs are indeed heretical.  The claim that earthly matter is crafted by the Devil is clearly at odds with the testaments of Creation found in the Book of Genesis.  There is no disputing the fact, once this becomes clear.

"Now, it is my belief that our brother, Bishop Piero Cosenza, has erred in his decision and should be brought back within the bounds of Church doctrine, but this can and should be done by his entering into close study of holy scripture under the guidance of a more senior priest.  He should withdraw from the world and go to a Benedictine monastery to ensure that he is not distracted from his journey back to conformity with Rome.  Certainly he has no place as a commander on the field of battle.

"But where our brother has erred, his grace the Archduke has not.  To impose punishment or penance upon him for the misaction of another is simply un-Christian.  Look, even now he comes to us to find resolution to our current dilemma.  Would you truly seize from so pious and humble a man his own realm?  Worse, force him to break an oath unto God to cleave to his vassal as his vassal would cleave to him?  How could any other oath he has offered or ever will offer ever be believed?

"Your Holiness, I will not support these measures.  I cannot support them."
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:13 am

You will come to Thessaly, see the body of a priest who died trying to protect a temple of God. These Bogomils are willing to spill blood of the innocent and pious. This man should be declared heretic, apologise for his words, and lead an assault on these Bogomils as way of redemption.

I agree, some of these terms are a fair bit much. Only Bishop Cosenza should apologize.
The Archduke is not at fault. The Principality of Malta is not at fault. Only this Cosenza, may God have mercy on his soul.

I am not in favor of the Papacy's terms myself, only the motion to declare the Bishop a heretic.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:27 am

"Calmly, brother, calmly. As I have said, Bishop Piero has erred, but I do not believe him to be a heretic. He has not turned from the teachings of Mother Church but has merely become confused as to their meaning. This is why I advocate that he withdraw from the world for a period of study.

"Once that is done, he can make amends for his errors by spending time traveling the Balkans and spreading the true word of Jesus Christ and his church."
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:55 am

Daniel, the Bishop is promoting heresy, these Bogomils are agents of satan.
What he has done, his words? The definition of heresy.

He knows not the true word of God, I would not intrust him to preach to these lost souls, they would kill him for even trying, it is their way.

I believe the best course for Bishop Cosenza is redemption through a holy campaign to snuff out these Bogomils.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:07 am

"Well, the man is here. Why not hear the words of the man's own lips that we might better judge him? Come, brother. Bishop Piero Cosenza, you stand accused of promoting a heresy. A truly serious charge. In your statement you said, if I am quoting correctly, that the teachings of this Priest Bogomil are not without merit. What is it that you meant by that statement?"
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:51 am

His Holiness believes that the Cardinals are right - the Archduke has shown willingness and good heart, and he should not be punished, but he must be reminded to keep the people under his rule in order according to laws not only his own, but those of God as well.

Having a muslim heathen govern Malta was the first sign of decadency.

We believe that the right of investiture should be given back to Rome, to secure that such things do not happen again. With time, the Archduke can regain his right to choose the bishops of his lands of course.

The Bogumil heresy must be eradicated though, so an organised attack on them would be needed. If not the Bishop himself should lead it, even then the Calabrian Republic should support the campaign financially.

The statement of the Bishop must have been oil to the fires of heresy, and more and more people have succumbed to these false beliefs, because now they believe that there is a realm in the world where they can freely practice their idol worship.

The new terms of the Papacy are the following:

- The Calabrian Republic shall cede his right of investiture to the Pope.
- The Calabrian Republic, with the leadership of Bishop Piero Cosenza shall lead an army against the Bogumil heresy, into the heartlands of their corruption, the Balkans.
- In the Islamic Principality of Malta the Hereditary Head of Government, Emir Harisah al-Ghalib bin Abd Sayf al-Jaza, shall be removed, and his dynasty stripped from rights to govern, or inherit, and a christian noble house shall take his place, selected by the Pope and the Ruler of Calabria together.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Archduke Saverio: "Lords, please. Maybe it is my age, but I would humbly request to tackle one subject at a time. First, I would ask we discuss the Emir and Malta, then the matter of a Crusade and who should fund it, and lastly the issue of the Bishop and his Heresy, if we agree to call it that. I have with me the Emir Harisah al-Ghalib to speak in his own behalf, which he can do, if required. As the Soverign of The Republic, however, I must find it necessary to give the reason [italic]why[/italic] Malta is the way it is.

"My late uncle, Archduke Paolo Russo had been suffering from incessant and ever increasing attacks from the Muslim barbarians in Tunis (my apologies Emir). One of his last acts as Sovereign was to betroth his only heir and 16 year old daughter Anna Maria to Harisah in exchange for peace throughout the realm. She converted to Islam, changed her name to Fira al-Bahiya bint Russo, and has born him six children. One of them is the Grand Admiral Hadi bin Harisah and has served as my Master of the Navy."

Emir Harisah: "This is true. I fell in love with Fira as soon as I met her and pledged my peace to Paolo as long as I could have her. The small population of Christians in Malta are content to pay [italic]dhimmi[/italic], a quarter of which is sent to San Donato directly.

"I have no issue as a vassal to Saverio; living beside these great Christians has been an honor. The words of the young Bishop Piero should not effect my lands."

Archduke Saverio: "They will not."
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:44 pm

The Pope listened carefully from his throne in the room, playing with one of his rings on his finger, while doing so. After both the Archduke and the Emir have spoken, he took a deep breath, nodded, and began to speak, breaking the heavy silence that fell on the room.

"Our Lord is great, our Lord forgives. - Pope Leo began to speak. "We are His word in this world, so we follow His holy guidace. It is our duty to establish peace and stability throughout the christian lands, and convert those who have strayed away from the flock of the Lord, in order to save their souls from eternal damnation.
Therefore we propose the following... The Emir and his family can keep his rights and fiefs, if they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, and swear to live christian lives, accept the teachings of the New Testament and the Holy Church. The muslims of Malta can live as they see fit, if in peace, and they must not pay any extra taxes, other than those required to be payed by everyone.
"

The Pope remained silent for a minute or more, and finished his thought:
"These are our final terms concerning your vassal in Malta, Archduke. In return we give you our word, that if any barbarian from Tunis, or any other muslim land shall attack your lands, we shall aid you in times of need. God protects those who have strong faith."
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Sheik Hadi bin Harisah "And if we do not convert? The peace and truce established by my father and the late Paolo Russo was with the understanding that-"

Emir Harisah al-Ghalib: "Silence, my son. An old contract for an old era. The time of the Muslim in the lands of the Christians is waning. Our relatives in Tunis are no longer a unified Caliphate, and no longer pose the threat to Christian lands that they once did. Have you not noticed that your entire life has been sheilded from them? They have sworn us off as infidels."

Sheik Hadi: "Allah commands-"

Emir Harisah: "SILENCE!! IT IS I WHO COMMAND!" There was a long uncomfortable silence as the father and son locked stares. After a time Hadi dropped his gaze. The Emir turned to face the pontiff. "Your Holiness, we willingly accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior."

Archduke Saverio: "Thank you, cousin."
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:20 am

Daniel thoughtfully rubbed his beard, then nodded.

"I suppose then that matter is settled.  Let us move on.  This matter of a military campaign to the Balkans concerns me.  True, these riots must come to end, for surely many will suffer as a result of them.  But the how of the pacification and what comes next gives me great unease.  I cannot bring myself to believe these men's souls are beyond saving.  I understand that much may be lost in conflict, but I worry that those who take the Cross to march on these heretics will lose themselves in their righteous fury.  The leaders of these campaigns must be righteous men of God, assuredly, but also well disciplined and readily able to restrain the men beneath their command, less we let the Devil loose upon the world by means of mindless slaughter."
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:15 am

"Mindless slaughter must be avoided indeed, and the souls of the strayed must be saved. The campaign would focus on restoring order in the area, and everyone who asks so with a pure heart can redeem himself, and his family, and their sins shall be forgiven. The actual leaders of the rebellion and the heretic priests are our main concern. They must be dealt with...
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:48 pm

"Even they should be given a chance for salvation. Your Holiness, please. Did Christ not forgive Judas for his trespass? Does Holy God not forgive us for our sins? These men have erred and sinned against God, but if they be taken alive and unspoiled, surely the Christian thing to do would be to grant them all the chance to repent their sins. Please, Holy Father, promise me that when these men are brought to accounting, they will be afforded the opportunity for contrition and not be executed out of hand."
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:57 pm

"You speak of wisdom, Cardinal... Let us show the world that God is strong, but he is merciful aswell. Those leaders of the heresy who ask with a pure heart shall be forgiven, and given the chance to live in monasteries among brothers who will help them redeem their souls. "
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Archduke Saverio: "You see, this is why I requested the presence of both my Grand Marshall and Grand Admiral, although it seems Sheik Hadi has left the proceedings. That is something I will deal with personally, in my own time. Emir, you and I will discuss Hadi at a later time." Emir Harisah nodded, "Good. As this matter relates to to notion of a True Christian Army, my son Luca is here to speak to any sort of military campaign which would be requested by His Holiness."

Luca Russo: "Holy Father, Cardinals, if it would so please the Lord I would be willing to engage the enemy both in the lands of my people and the lands of the heretics. Warfare does not come without rules, of which I am versed. Rest assured, Cardinal Daniel, that the pious and true among the heretics which ask forgiveness will be given such. But it pains me to see Cardinal Lysander's home diocese under such duress. We will bring the aggrovators to their knees either by The Word or by the sword. It is my duty and my oath before my father and my Father Above to uphold his laws. There should be no further question as to The Republic's stance on the Bogomils in general."
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:07 am

The Pope nodded slowly, and sighed with relief upon hearing the words of the Calabrians.

"We see now that you are true to the Church and to God. Now that Malta is under Christian rulership once more, and we can count on your support against the heretics, the Calabrian Republic may keep its right of investiture. God is merciful!"
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:35 am

"Your Holiness, it still remains to determine what is to become of Bishop Piero.  I would like to make a proposal.  There is a Benedictine monastery which operates a hospital for Christian pilgrims not far from Jerusalem called Beit Jimal.  It is my belief that Bishop Piero would be well served by withdrawing from the world to such a monastery, granting succor to the pilgrim and studying the life and lessons of the Savior in the land where he lived his life.  It would be my pleasure to oversee and guide his study, and restore him fully to the ways of the Lord."
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 am

Cardinal Daniel, the Lord has indeed given you wisdom. We accept your proposal - if Bishop Piero will move to the monastery you mentioned, he shall redeem himself and clear his name in front of the Lord.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom of Calabria Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:40 am

The late afternoon sun streaked through the windows, casting everything with the most beautiful warm glow.  The Pope had finished speaking, and Bishop Piero was focused on the swirling dust, dancing in the sun's rays, pushed by the breath of the pontiff.  He could see clearly the path which lay before him, neatly paved by Cardinal Daniel's mercy.  Yet something deep within him stirred.  He knew it only as the Fire of the Spirit, and it had prodded his mind into directions he thought unbearable or impossible since taking his priestly vows.  The air was still.  The Spirit burned in Piero's knees and he rose, slowly.  The dust curled around his head; wafted past his eyes.  He followed one speck until it disappeared and he thus found himself facing Cardinal Daniel.  Piero breathed deep and, upon exhalation, turned his mouth into an amiable smile.

Bishop Cosenza:  "Cardinal Daniel.  What you offer: I reject.  Should I value my own life so much that I would renounce the Truth and The Word?  The Apostles were Christ's first congregation, and his First Priests, and we should do well to emulate their teachings.  There was no hierarchy.  There was no confession.  There was God, and there was His Flock.  Why do we say the mass in Latin?  After all, it was on Pentecost that the Apostles were imbued with the Holy Spirit to speak to the multitudes in their native tongues.  Should we not do the same? These are the lessons of the Bogomils."  As he spoke, he began removing his vestments.  Folding them neatly he placed them on the table in front of him.

Marco Cosenza, Duke of Apennino: "Brother.  What are you doing?"

Piero continued: "Should we, as Catholics, idolize The Virgin Mother?  Does this not fly in the face of The Commandments?  And what of the gold the Church fills its coffers with?  What of the women who frequent all of our chambers?  What happened to the oaths we all swore when we became but lowly priests? Obedience? Poverty?! Chastity??!!  If we are to administer The Word, we must soundly reject these earthly things!"  He was now wearing not one stitch of religious attire.

Marco:  "Piero, please.  Cardinal Daniel offers -"

Piero: "Marco, my brother, you are a fool. Cardinal Daniel is a puppet for the Pharisees.  He is so far removed from his own diocese that he cannot hear the screams of kidnapped Christian children when his Jewish Masters let out their blood to bake their matzos.  Daniel, it is not mercy or wisdom you offer.  It is instead pity and cowardice."  His once friendly face had been twisted into a menacing sneer.

"Burn him."

Piero Cosenza:  "Such is the fate of those who dare to question authority.  But please stand, Accuser, that I may see your sinless face."

Archduke Saverio rose from his chair with such quick force that his manservant Guido was not ready to help.  He did not need it, however.  "Piero.  There is a time and place for theological matters.  Unfortunately, this is not the time, nor the place.  Nor are you such a man as to enter in to such matters.  You are unhinged and I will no longer suffer your bullshit."  Guido smirked.

Archduke Saverio, to The Pope: "Excommunicate him, or burn him.  Or both.  I care not."
Kingdom of Calabria
Kingdom of Calabria

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:10 am

As Piero made his tirade, Daniel shut his eyes and bowed his head down. When the priest had finished, Daniel raised his head again and opened his eyes. There was no accusation. No anger. No judgement. Just sadness and acceptance.

“You have made your decision then. For what it is worth to you, I shall pray that when you have passed through your crucible whatever manner your soul ultimately takes is still pleasing to God and that he welcomes you to his kingdom in Heaven.” Daniel rose from his seat and walked past Piero and knelt to take up his doffed vestments. He lifted them to his lips, then rose and walked to Leo VII. He laid the vestments before the Pope then looked him in the eye. “Your Holiness, I know not what seizes his mind. I tell you that there is no truth to this blood libel. The Hebrews do not engage in cannibalism, nor hemophagia. This I can assure you. I ask that you not allow these poisoned thoughts to sway you against the Jew, that you not violate the oaths you have made to God and my King Yitzchak.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 am

Pope Leo VII listened to the Bishop and the Cardinal with an expressionless face. He lifted his hand up in the air, and looked at the back of the room, then nodded.
Seconds later, four guards came into the room, all of them armed and armored. They rushed to Piero, in order to arrest him.

"Piero Cosenza, you have brought shame to your lands, and to your bishophoric. You have chosen heresy instead of the true words of our Lord. Hereby you are excommunicated from the Church.
Any man can freely enslave you, deprive you of your wealth, and even take your life. Those who have taken oaths to you are now relieved of them. Now be gone, heretic!
"
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next