Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Little Jewish Prince

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Little Jewish Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: The Little Jewish Prince

Post by House of Judah Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:12 am

“I have not been as far as the court of the Songs, though I have travelled along much of the Silk Road.  I did find myself for a time in the Turkic Khanates where I met travellers from the Song who told me that they had encountered people who believe as I do in a city called Kaifeng, though I never reached that place myself.

“And believe me, I’m well aware of the workings of sycophants and charlatans.  I do believe I have some skill at spotting them when they show themselves to me.  I do not worry that they will fool me.  Nor am I concerned with open attack.  I am confident enough in the skills of His Majesty’s soldiers to preclude such an event.”  Rav Immanuel didn’t lie, but what was left unsaid spoke volumes of his confidences.  There would be no open attack.  Those who would harm them would use more subtle means.  Poison, perhaps, but Rav Immanuel’s control on the boy’s food would block attempts through that route.  A group of thugs could be hired to accost them in the market or in the wilderness if they went on a hunt.  A poisonous snake could be introduced into the boy’s room, or the sneak thief could climb through a window.  He could spot them if he ever found those subtle enemies before him.  It was if they remained in the shadows that he worried about.  He needed more information.  Duchess Cassandra seemed quite the social butterfly.  She would know most of the notables and help him form the greater picture he needed.  The Romaniote community would also be helpful.

“Still, it is always helpful when making new acquaintances to have an intermediary to help with introductions.  How long will you be remaining at court?  If you would be willing, it would greatly help me if you could provide those introductions.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:00 am

We should be staying until the festival's end, a few days time, and then we'll back ride to Thessaly. I suppose I could introduce you to the other Dukes and Duchesses present here. I can't for example introduce you to the rabbi, Solomon, as I don't know the man personally, I only know of him from the frew rabbis in Thessaly who write him.

As for people in Attica, I could arrange a meeting with some of the nations ministers who reside at the court. They wouldn't decline me, but I'm absolutely certain they'll wish to know your business with them. Any preference on who you'd want to meet and what you'd want me to tell them the reason of meeting is?

(ooc: Ministers: Agriculture,Trade,War,Education,Wealth,Seafaring,Domesticity,Foreign,Justice,Information)
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:33 am

“I will seek out Rav Solomon in my own time.  For now, the notables of the court, including the king’s ministers, would satisfy my curiosities.  If there is need for purpose to our introductions, give it simply that I am man gregarious behaviours and would know every man in the world if possible, for it said by the learned that from every man we meet there is some lesson to learn.”  Rav Immanuel ate again of his food, and drank deeply of his wine.

As ever, Shmuel remained quiet in the presence of his elders as conversation that were beyond him continued over head.
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 am

"Well, this feast would be an excellent place to start. Among those seated in the hall are Stylian, the city governor, ah, there's Simonides, Lord-Justice. Cassandra said giving a slight motion over to the  area where each man was seated. The ministers are all here today, this may be the best time to introduce yourself, they can't feign that they are occupied. I would surmise that out of the ministers you would most like to chat with Gregory, Minister of Communication and Florus, the Minister of Foreign Matters. Though, perhaps you were hoping for a nice conversation on grain yield? The Minister of Agriculture is just there." Cassandra gave a smirk.

Stylian was sat with his wife and children enjoying the festivities clad in some light armor with bright red robes underneath, he was sat there happily drinking his ale and eating a fairly large piece of chicken.

Simonides sat along with his other friends in the judicial system, he happened to be lightly scratching his salt and pepper beard when the two looked over. The Minister of Justice, Gabriel being just one of the friends among him. Clad in a white robe with heavy purple accents, wearing rings of gold and silver it was evident that the position of Lord-Justice was a powerful one, indeed.

Gregory sat at a table where his back was to the stone wall, he rested upon it, casually sipping his wine,surveying the room. His eyes immediately caught both Cassandra's and Immanuel's, only being turned away when his wife put her hand on his arm pulling him into the table's conversation. He wore leathers underneath a light, mint colored robe, a necklace with a golden greek cross lay hanging from his neck.

Florus was standing, clearly having a lively conversation with two other men in which he had been caught in on his way back to his table. The two other men had a darker complexion, wearing fabulous robes, one of light purple, the other of a muted yellow. Florus was in this way easily identifiable, a olive skinned man, with a head of receding white hair plainly obvious when looking at him from the back as they were. Hands full with a drink in either of them.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:28 pm

“I think I should start with Minister Florus.  After all, mine and the prince’s purpose here is diplomatic.  Do you know the two men he speaks with?  I should hate to intrude on their conversation in ignorance.”  Rav Immanuel looked to his ward.

“Alas, I think perhaps Shmuel will find such conversations holding little interest for him.  Perhaps we could entreat upon Governor Stylian and his children to entertain the boy for a time.  They are already acquainted, he should need no introduction.  What think you, Your Highness?  Would you like to play with the governor’s children?”  Shmuel shrugged.  “As decisive as always.  Go play while I have conversations that would bore you.”  Shmuel nodded and got up from his seat, making his way to Governor Stylian.  “Well, now that that is taken care of, shall we meet the Minister and his friends?”  Even as they moved to the minister, Rav Immanuel carefully angled himself so that he could monitor the young Jewish prince when he spoke to the minister.

“Good evening, Governor Stylian,” Shmuel said carefully in Greek.  “It is good to see you and your family again.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 am

" Hmm, no. No, I can't say that I do. Though, I am always willing to make new acquaintances, aren't you? Perhaps they hail from the holdings in Africa? Well, in any case- Cassandra turned to her husband -Elias, we should introduce ourselves don't you think?" "Yes, yes, of course. Never want to meet anyone... well, normal, do you?" "My! No, where's the fun in that?" Elias sighed and raised to his feet, two guards were next to him and Cassandra in a moment.

The group and their sentries walked down the one flight of steps and into the great hall. Banners of every major house were suspended from the walls, salt and other spices were readily available long tables lay fat with apples, grapes, pheasant, chicken, and boar, the smell permeated throughout only masked by the smell of newly baked bread, and when you got close to the meats and other freshly baked foods you could still see the steam that carried the smell throughout and beyond. Wines, meads, and ales both foreign and domestic sat in nearly every glass, kept topped off by ever-attentive servants.

Music and chatter filled the hall, bouncing off the stone walls and tall ceiling of the edifice. The heavy metallic footsteps of the guards, however must have caught the attention of the Minister's guests because their gaze fell from Florus to the approaching Duke and company.
Minister Florus followed their gaze and without missing a beat began "Good evening Your Graces, Rabbi" he said bowing his head slightly despite never having met the rabbi before, the rabbi was as some of the powerful jingoists would say a 'known unknown'
The guests both gave each other a look at the use of the word.

"Is there something I might help you with?"
"We would be honored to speak with you and your friends here, what a pleasure it is to have patricians from outside the Kingdom here on such a special day" said Cassandra
"Yes, of course, please allow me to introduce to you Mughirah al-Dawla" he said motioning to the man in purple "and Al-Ashraf Nayel al-Misri" he said giving a similar motion to the man in yellow. "Allies to our Kingdom's interests in Africa." Both men bowed when introduced.
"And, Your Lordships, please allow me to introduce to you Duke Elias and Duchess Cassandra of Thessaly, a Duchy in the north of our fair Kingdom,
and Immanuel ben Elior, rabbi and warden to the Prince of Judea, Shmuel, a guest of our court."
The group exchanged their expected pleasantries being as warm and personable as they could manage.

"I was worried there, I thought they had given rank to a jew, a court jew is already too much" Mughirah whispered to Nayel in Coptic.
Nayel responded also in Coptic "Hold your tongue, here at least, this isn't the time for this"

"Ahem, so, is there anything else I can help with?" Florus said somewhat nervously, hearing what was said, and being able to understand Coptic, but not sure if anyone else did or could.

"Ah, good evening Your Highness!" Stylian turned to his wife "Hellen, this is the boy I was telling you about, Prince Shmuel of Jerusalem." "Oh, hello Your Highness, how lovely to meet you. Stylian, you didn't tell me how handsome he was!" "Well, that's to be expected of a Prince, now enough, you're embarrassing the poor boy. Come, lad, sit with us, meet my children. This is my daughter, Danae, and my son, Dorus. Both children gave a slight acknowledgement to the Prince, Danae was about 12 years old, long braided brown hair, sat there, probably trying to remember which utensil was was supposed to be used for what exactly, how many forks are really needed anyway? Dorus was picking at his food, a young man, probably having sern only 9 or 10 winters, short brown hair, cut in the style of his father, he wore a golden cross, all four sides equal in length. He was distracted by the toy wooden soldiers he had managed to sneak in, much to his mother's chagrin, Stylian however convinced her to let him be.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:10 am

Rav Immanuel smiled pleasantly.

“Diplomacy is the purpose of mine and mine wards presence here in Athens.  I am merely trying to be diplomatic.  You say that these men are from Africa?”  Immanuel turned to the two men.  “By your tongues, I would say you are Coptics?  I do not know the language myself, though it is not completely unfamiliar to my ears.”  Rav Immanuel continued to smile at the men as he lied through his teeth.  True, he was not fluent in the language, but he was conversant enough and knew plenty of the tones men spoke in when they were not pleased by what they found before them.  “Truly, I have not traveled extensively in Africa, mostly in major cities along the coast.  Alexandria, Tunis, Marrakech.  From whence do hail, if I may ask?  Is it deep into Africa?”

“A pleasure to meet you.”  Shmuel always found himself shy around others since he left Jerusalem, but for some reason the governor’s daughter left him particularly shy and uncomfortable.  Instead he focused himself upon his son, who was closer to his age.  “These toy soldiers are nice.  My brother Ari is a soldier and a commander.  He commands all my father’s armies back in Judea.  He conquered a land of bandits who broke my father’s law.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:40 am

Mughirah gave a quiet huff and when it seemed that he had taken his advice Nayel spoke up "We both hail from Damietta, on the mouth of the great Nile. I believe we had a few merchants from your lands, a funny little man sailing in from a port called Jaffa, he didn't look a Greek, he looked more a... more like a Judean. Well, any matter, we are of the more prudent lords of the city, and our business brings us here." Florus chimed in "Our situation in Africa grows more dynamic by the day, perhaps we could speak more on that in the future. But, you say your purpose here is diplomatic, I am aware of the full extent of the terms, did you require any assistance with that?"

"Bandits? Really? I wish I could fight bandits like your brother. They still make me use a wood sword, I want to use a real sword but mum says I'll chop my fingers off." Dorus watched Shmuel for a bit, between eating. He caught him glancing at his sister for one moment and moving his eyes away whenever she gave the slightest movement. "Weirdie" Dorus said. Stylian gave a quiet little laugh but made it inaudible pretty quickly by drinking his wine.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:57 am

“The terms of our presence are not distasteful to us.  Indeed, it grants me opportunity to make acquaintance of fine and noble gentlemen such as yourselves.  I have not been to Damietta, but I do know of it and I believe I have glimpsed it from across the water.  A gem of the Mediterranean, I am sure.  We must luncheon at some point, that you might tell me of the wonders of your city.  Lord Florus, if you have need of me to act as an emissary for my king, please do not hesitate to call upon me.  For now I shall leave you gentlemen to your conversation whilst I acquaintance myself to others here at court.  Good evening.”  Rav Immanuel gave a slight bow of his head before walking away from the trio with Duchess Cassandra and Elias.

“Your Grace,” Immanuel began as they withdrew, “know you anything of the political situation in Damietta?”

“Ari is very brave, and skilled with a sword.  He was teaching me to hold a blade before I left Jerusalem. Ravi continued my tutelage on the journey, though I am to learn from Sir Cisseus now that I have arrived here in Athens.”  Shmuel’s eyes swung around the room to once again take in the wonderful hall, but as his eyes passed Danae they locked onto he a moment.  He lowered his head and blushed when he heard Dorus comment on it.  He straightened himself again.  “There have been many great warriors and captains in my family, starting with my great-great…” Shmuel paused a moment to count. “-great grandfather Yehudah.  Have you heard of the Battle of Mount Nebo?  It was a great battle Yehudah fought against the… Abbadids.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:36 pm

"Well" began Elias despite keeping fairly silent when talking with them men from Damietta "I know as much as anyone, and let us just say that the city will soon retake its proper name of Tamiathis. The caliphate is finally crumbling due to infighting among other things, and once Damietta falls so shall Egypt and perhaps that whole damned caliphate." Elias paused for a moment before continuing "Though, I don't know how much power they command in Baghdad, I've heard they still hold major influence there, damn them."

"Rabbi, you must understand that the Abbasids have never been friends of our people." Cassandra followed up "We have only just retaken Crete from their control some forty years ago, many here still remember the battles vividly, so, the wounds are still fairly fresh. Though I must agree with Elias, the caliphate is weakened, many among them are looking to support other powers in the region be that Cybelos or even the Fatamids."

"I've never heard of Mt. Nebo, but everybody here always says the Abbasids are bad people because they would attack our cities on the coasts, but they don't do that any more so maybe they're not bad any more?"

"Shmuel, are you going to be a warrior or a captain like Yehudah? Because I'm going to be a knight when I'm old enough. We could even fight against each other in the tourney if you wanted."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:06 am

Rav Immanuel ben Elior

“His Majesty is most ambitious. But then so is my king. And I must confess that I believe we had our part to play in destabilizing the Abbasid Caliphate. For now we have peace, but neither Judean nor Abbasid have forgotten that four score of years ago they ruled over us and our lands. It has not been a full score since last Judean and Abbasid crossed sword upon a battlefield, and I fear it is too much to hope that such affairs will last. I was with the army that marched on Egypt at that time. The campaign was… costly. I’m afraid I lied to those men. I do know their city. I burned it. Looted it. Extracted payment from it for the crimes and betrayals of its master. Perhaps that is why they do not like me.

“But that is darker thought for a different day. For now, let us make our merriments amongst other that may enjoy my presence. The Lord-Justice, perhaps.”

Shmuel ben Yitzchak ben Yehudah

Shmuel blushed at being corrected even as Dorus did not expressly acknowledge it.

“Mount Nebo was a great battle during Yehudah’s revolt. He destroyed an entire Abbasid army and made sure that they couldn't come back for many years. I want to be as great a warrior as Yehudah some day… though Ravi says that the world needs scholars more than swordsmen. He did say that sword… swords-man-ship is a good skill for a prince to learn. Sir Cisseus said there were girls who learn to fight with a sword. Is that true?”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:50 am

Simonides

Lord-Justice Simonides sat his table with his many acquaintances of the judiciary, fiddling with one of his many rings or nonchalantly resting his hand on his chin. The man was quite large, even if his extended stomach was hidden by his extravagant robes this was obvious. Simonides was quite engrossed by the goings-on but his personal guards informed him of the Duke, Duchess, and Rabbi's presences. "Sir" his guard said leaning down to whisper in his ear. "Yes, Yes, of course."  Simonides said after swallowing his wine.

-"Greetings, Your Grace. How are you this evening?" said Cassandra
-"I'm just grand, dear. What can I do for you?" Simonides said, wasting no time to tuck into his food.
-"Might we sit with you this evening,your company would be most appreciated to us all." Cassandra said motioning to Elias and Immanuel.
The Lord-Justice eyed the two men for a moment, the rabbi a bit longer than Elias, seeing if he knew the man.
"Of course, Duchess. Please, gentlemen have a seat."
Simonides called to a servant "Ey, boy, an ale for my friends 'ere."
Simonides looked at the rabbi "What'do I owe the pleasure?" He spoke with a slight slur.

Dorus
-A whole army by himself? Wow, that's amazing. I hope I'm that good when I'm older.
-A scholar? Dad said that you got signed up to Lazarus' classes, just like me, so don't worry, we both have to deal with him, right?

-Yeah, that's true, don't girls from Judea use swords too?
Or did you mean Danae? 'cause yeah, she does sometimes, her and her friends decided to join some of the classes. Hope you don't have to fight her, cause she's really good, almost as good as me.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:31 am

Rav Immanuel

“I am told that your grace is pleasant company, and I see your reputation is well established by reality. I thank you,” Rav Immanuel said in gratitude as he lifted the cup the serving boy had brought to him. “Your grace, I am Immanuel ben Elior, royal tutor to Prince Shmuel ben Yitzchak. A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Shmuel ben Yitchak ben Yehudah

“Not all by himself. He did have his army, but they numbered barely one thousand while the Abbasids numbered three and ten thousand. His army won by his bravery and his… smartness. Perhaps that is what Ravi means when he speaks of scholars.” He looked at Danae when Dorus spoke of girls and swords.

“I know of none in Judea who carry them, though it may happen. I think my sister Yael would enjoy it, if she had the chance. If your sister is skilled then I suppose there is no shame in being bested by her if it happens.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am

Simonides

"Yes, and yours as well, friend. Tis a glorious day, no? These festivities will be marked twice in the annals. The sun shines brightest on these lands, God must favor the Greeks, mustn't he?" Simonides patted the rabbi on his back and laughed heartily, caught up in the fervor, ...or the alcohol. Simonides called for one of his guards and had his ear, saying a few words the guard pulled away, nodded lightly and made way for the kitchens.

Multiple servants appeared from the kitchens a few moments later, obviously laying in wait. They carried more meats, more sweets, more sweetmeats, more ale, more wine. The Lord-Justice must have no worries concerning monies. The tables were cleared and restocked in but a moment. Foods layed out along the long dark oak table. The rabbi had honey-cakes and cooked fruits plated before him, a servant poured a spiced, sweet sauce atop. Simonides opened a bottle of wine, grabbed a glass and poured, handing it off to Immanuel, and then one to the person on his other side. He turned back to Immanuel and gestured to his cold glass of wine. "a Cypriot wine, exquisite if I say so, do enjoy the rest of your evening, rabbi. The same goes to you, Your Graces."

Dorus

"Lazarus would sometimes say that not all scholars are smart and that if I wanted to be a scholar all I have to do is study a bunch. So maybe you could become a scholar at.. fighting.. maybe?" Dorus sounded a bit defeated at the end, unsure of himself.

"Dad says you're going back to Judea when you're older, but don't you miss it? I don't know if I could leave home yet, maybe when I'm the best knight in the lands and then I have to go all over fighting the other best fighters but..."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:31 pm

Shmuel ben Yitzchak ben Yehudah

“I do miss it, my mother and sisters especially.  I shall return to them when I am a man, and ready to become a son of the… Ech omrim be’yevanitt mitzvah?  The… the laws of Moshe.  Ravi says there will be a great ceremony in Jerusalem on the day I celebrate becoming bar mitzvah.  Perhaps your family could come.”  Shmuel calmed himself from the excitement of his words.  “These are thoughts for later.  Please, may I show you the Battle of Mount Nebo?”  Shmuel began began arranging the toy soldiers to represent the opposing armies.

Rav Immanuel

Rav Immanuel raised his goblet to Lord-Justice.

“To your very good health, my lord.”  He turned to the Duke and Duchess.  “A fine and charitable man.  I shall have to spend more times in his presence.”  Rav Immanuel continued his evening meeting the numerous characters of the court.  Already the wheels turned within his mind.  Every motion and word analyzed.  Who would be friend to his king and his ward, confidant to his schemes.  Who would be tool to his machinations.  Who would be enemy to be watched, and if ever needed sent onto Heaven to account to God for their wickedness.

Rav Immanuel spent the next days further establishing himself at court, learning every person at court, not just nobility but the servants as well.  A simple coin or two as thanks for some small service or another, but by such coins he would ingratiate himself with them.  Shmuel’s classes had begun, leaving the rabbi more time to gather his intelligences.

Two days past the King’s feast found Rav Immanuel entering his Majesty’s study to find Prince Theon poring intently over plans for fortresses.

“Forgive me, your Highness.  I had hoped to find your father.  I thought that we might have a game of chess.”  Rav Immanuel pulled out the rolled leather of chess mat from where he clutched it under his left arm and held it up to the prince.  “Do you play, your Highness?  If so, perhaps you would be willing to indulge me in a game yourself.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

"No I do not. I did not have time for such things growing up." "You know," Theon said placing down a model of a grey monolithic tower, then standing up fully.
"I don't think anything you do here is unintentional, if you wished to find Alexander you would have done so. You've got everyone down already, haven't you? Peeked under the masks and all that?"

"I've known the sort of person, though they were a bit more of a revolutionary."

"I remember them saying to me something along the lines of:  "Shake up the nobles, get payback for the people, and... play the middle."
I asked why not go all the way, organise a group and fully commit to fighting injustices?
I was told that cutting off the head only creates a new head that needs to be chopped off eventually."

Theon gave a "hmph" at his memories, laughing inwardly. "Real friends, us." Theon said lightly under his breath.

"So" Theon picked up a model archer and placed it on Macedonia "Are you a revolutionary?"
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:05 am

Rav Immanuel ben Elior

“Revolution is, in my experience, rather messy, Your Highness. If there is need of changes, I prefer them to be subtle and gradual, with the occasional… tipping point, as it were.

“You like things put bluntly. I can respect that. But there are times when two men can carry on two conversations at once by using more subtle language. I think us to be well enough alone, for the moment, to speak in more plane manners. I have looked between many masks. Your father has done well in organizing those he can trust in his court, but he has not caught all the bad apples, as I would find. I doubt you are surprised to learn that there are many whispered conversations concerning the Jew boy and upstart bastard, many within sentences of one another. You have enemies at court, as have I and my ward, and the overlap is substantial.

“You do not yet trust me, an understandable if incorrect point of view. Until you do, I will work to show that you can trust me. And I would recommend taking up chess. The whole world is in it, and it would give us something to discuss when we speak of other things.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:01 pm

"You think to have my ear in the future, then? Purely casual conversation I suppose."

Theon shuffled the maps on the table so that a map of the Nile was prominently shown, looking it over for a moment.

"Hasn't this rupture between the churches voided your contract with the papacy? Why would you wish to assist the Greeks then? Shouldn't you be searching for a different court?"

"Hmm.. Or would it be seen as your king taking sides in this mess? Well, we're all going to have to choose eventually."

Theon stood and poured Immanuel a glass of wine.

"A Cypriot, hope you're not accustomed to the flavor."

Theon cleared the maps from the table.

"Alright, set the board. This had better not be some lesson on how "Chess imitates life" "
Theon smirked and poured himself a glass.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 am

Rav Immanuel

“No, I think todays lesson will cover the basics of strategy in chess.  Movements, points of control, when to sacrifice a pawn and when to hold it in reserve for a later attack.”  And with that, the game began.  As the game progressed, Rav Immanuel moved his lecture from the basics of strategy to the difficulty of forming subtle stratagems when your opponent can see your every move.  When the lecture was at an end, Immanuel turned the conversation to other matters.

“Shame about these events in Christendom.  Such will doubtlessly destabilize much of Europe, and possibly Judea as well.  And then for the Bishop of Rome to die so suddenly.  Still, there is hope that not all is lost.  Rumor has it that Cardinal Daniel is very popular in the College of Cardinals.  If there is any man who could find a way to negotiate the turbulences that have befallen Christendom, I’m sure that he is the one to do so.  I don’t suppose you’ve ever had chance to meet him.  He is known to your father, as well as Bishop Lysander.  A pity the bishop has died.  Between the two of them, I think they could find a way to mend this rift, which I think would be the best outcome for my king.  And speaking of kings, check mate.  Well played, your highness.  I shall hope to have another game with you soon.  Perhaps I shall teach you Queen’s Chess.  In it, the vizier is replaced with a queen, with very different and far more powerful moves available to it.  Indeed, in Queen’s Chess she is the most powerful tool at the king’s disposal, a position not to be sacrificed lightly.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:45 am

"Suddenly? The man was over 60 years. I can appreciate his service, despite the turmoil amongst the church, but sudden would not be the correct description, I believe, despite what the Roman church will attempt to pass this off as."

"The Latin church is power mad, there is no comprise, they care not for the people or the soldiers. To them they are the pawns." Theon said gesturing with his chess piece.

Theon listened to the rabbi's offer "What have I said about the comparison between chess and life?"

"Good day then, you know where Alexander is. I won't keep you."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum