Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Clothes Make the Heretic

+2
Byzantine_Bithynia
Cybelos [ERE]
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Clothes Make the Heretic - Page 2 Empty Re: The Clothes Make the Heretic

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:24 am

"I knew little of Bishop Philo prior to him coming to Constantinople after sending that letter, but he did seem unaccustomed to such things. I had spoken with him briefly of some of the more mundane things I've seen in war, and that shocked him quite a bit. I'd guess him seeing that was quite scarring."

Varius waited for Perikles to finish, then spoke:

"Well, I can send out messengers soon, to those nations who have the largest Orthodox populations, at least from what we know. Those communities can send someone to represent them in the council of patriarchs, and then we shall see how things go.

Lysander, if you would like we can wait to hear from Rome before you decide about being a part of this council."
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:45 am

"I believe by the time the invitation reaches to other orthodox realms throughout the world we will have word of news from Rome."

"One way or the next I am willing to represent my Kingdom. The Cybelian people will not be silenced by the despot pope's command."

"I am sorry to impose on you, Your Grace, but would it be possible for me to be given a bed? A local parsonage perhaps?"
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:18 pm

"Of Course! Perikles can show you to a place where you can stay, it's not too far."

Perikles nodded, and motioned for him to follow. He would lead him to a parsonage not far from the Great Palace area, where he would be given a bed.

Varius and Paulus set to work preparing the messengers to be sent out, each inviting different nations to join this new Council of the Orthodox faith.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:09 pm

The Clothes Make the Heretic - Page 2 Vajdahunyad
Transylvania, Hunyad Comitat, Town of Vajdahunyad

Theodosius was interrupted in the middle of his prayer by a rather uneasy messenger. He let out a deep sigh, and muttered something to himself, about how a man can not have his peace, even when he is praying.

"What is it, my son?" - he asked.
"Father, the Church... Rome has excommunicated all who follow the Eastern rites! They have excommunicated you as well! The bishops of the East are organizing the Church on their own! Pope Leo died after he heard the shocking news!" - the messenger said, between two deep breathes. He looked nervous.

Bishop Theodosius thought for long minutes before saying anything. He quickly finished his prayer, and turned to the servant.
"What did the King say? Did he order anything?"
"No words from his Highness, yet."
"Prepare for travel, then. We shall go meet the King, and then, we travel to the East."
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:13 pm

The Clothes Make the Heretic - Page 2 320px-Akropolis_by_Leo_von_Klenze
Athens

His Holiness Bishop Lysander,

It is the wish of the Cybelian diocese that you once again take the position of religious leader of Cybelos. I have been instructed to offer you your own guards if you fear for Rome's retribution for your escape. His majesty, King Alexander has offered you anything you may desire, you need only send word to Athens.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and the best of health.

Farewell,
Bishop Theron

-Lysander looked over the letter and folded it, placing it in his robes' pocket. He would send word back to Athens saying that the personal guard needn't be necessary, if Rome wished to recapture or kill him, he believed that would only help the Orthodox Church garner support and sympathy. Lysander would inform His All Holiness, Paulus Eutychios of his decision.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by House of Judah Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Matthias Ioannidis

The Patriarch of Antioch surveyed the letter. He had feared for his own position since the news of the schism had arrived. After all, it was well known that Daniel, the Bishop and Patriarch of Jerusalem favored Rome over Constantinople, and he had the King’s ear. In general life had gotten better for the Christians of his city after the Judeans came, but they were mostly members of the Greek Church, not the Latin one. Matthias had felt the tension between the two churches, and worried that the Cardinal would turn the King against the members of the Greek church, but that had never materialized.

Now the Greek church was organizing into a far more powerful block, and the King continued to add Greek Christians to his realm. Already he was certain they numbered in equal measure to the Latins of the realm, and was planning to write to the King to ask for a position at court to represent the Greek Christians.

He called in one of the junior priests who assisted him.

“Congratulations, Evangelos. You are going to Constantinople to represent our church to a council of true Christians. Go with God.”
House of Judah
House of Judah

Back to top Go down

Post by Scilenia Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 am

(Reply to letter from World News)
Dear fellow believers of the eastern ways,
I, Duke of Scilenia, fully support of this Orthodox Council and I wish all who take part in this Council Godspeed in this hard endeavor of separation from the Latin Church. Scilenia will send Bishop Khristos Primo to represent the Scilenians as Patriarch in hope that one day, our beliefs and believers of the Eastern Ways will be free from the persecution of the Latin Church. Sadly, I fear that the Latin Church will retaliate against us and our beliefs, so we must be prepared to fight against the Latin Church, so I will provide my entire Army to help protect our beliefs and I will allow other nations to move their armies into my lands.

May you God bless the Council,
Duke Alexander IV of Scilenia
Scilenia
Scilenia

Back to top Go down

Post by Azaq Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:58 am

"Come forth, Bishop Vasilis. No need to be afraid."

The Khan said, motioning for Vasilis to step before him.

"I fear naught but God - the One True God - oh Great Khan."

The Khan scoffed.

"So be it. I have received word you have received a letter from Constantinople, no doubt having to do with the formation of the new 'Orthodox' Church? Might I ask what it says?"

Vasilis cautiously considered his response.

"To lie is to sin, so I shalt not lie. The Orthodox Church seeks representatives from every Orthodox realm and Orthodox community to be represented in a Council of Patriarchs, and due to the presence of a large Orthodox community in Azaq, they have naturally called upon us to be represented in the Orthodox Church."

The Khan thought carefully for a moment for replying.

"So I see. Excellent, make leave for Constantinople tomorrow."

Vasilis was slightly surprised by the Khan's response.

"...you would permit my leave, Great Khan? Forgive me, but I am skeptical of your motives, after all, it is no secret you have a strong distaste for the One True Faith."

The Khan laughed and shook his head.

"No, Vasilis, I have a strong distaste for it's practitioners, not the faith itself. However, I have been informed as to why this division caused, and to me, it seems that the Orthodox Church holds truer to the original scripture and teachings than the Papacy in Rome. It has my approval, and I will gladly help the Orthodox Church grow stronger at the expense of the Catholics. Make no mistake, I still have little love for this hypocritical cult of yours, but compared to the Catholic Church, the Orthodox practitioners seem to be more tolerable. Not to mention their close proximity means it would be unwise to anger them, and I am not an unwise man. As a sign of good faith, I not only permit you to go, but encourage you to, and let your new friends in the City of Constantine know that I will permit their missionaries unrestricted access to my lands so long as I live and so long as they do not attempt to convert any members of my family. Consider it a blessing, your god shines down upon you this day."

Vasilis was still highly skeptical, even as the Khan smiled to reassure his honesty.

"...Right. Of course, Great Khan. Whatever you say..."

Vasilis said, still unsure as what to think.

"Now then, unsquint your eyes and stop looking at me like I'm a shifty merchant in a darkened alley and go prepare yourself for your journey tomorrow. You will never your rest."

Vasilis slowly left the Khan's presence, unsure if the Khan was being truthful and genuine, or if he was hiding some grand scheme behind the curtains.
Azaq
Azaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Varasd Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Varasd, Province Croatia
The Gates of Varazdin Castle

"The King has been informed of your arrival. " said a royal servant who met Theodosius before he could enter the town.
"I wish to speak to his Majesty, my son."
"He will not see you. He has important matters to discuss for now. It's not the time."
"It is urgent, my son. I dare say it's more urgent than anything the King might be doing right no-"
"He will not see you. Read this letter here, right now."
Theodosius took the letter, broke the Royal Seal, and read it as he stood.

"Dear Theodosius!

You have been a good friend of mine, even though we don't know each other for too long. You've helped greatly in the Transylvanian Campaign, by converting the population.

I have heard about the Great Schism, as they speak of it. Understand, my friend, that I am too old to meddle with such affairs. Such a matter would do no good for my health. I am tired, and I need rest.

You can join the other Orthodox bishops in Constantinople, if you wish. You can keep your lands and churches in my Kingdom. I will not take a stance in this dispute - my duty is to reign over worldy realms, and not to decide the issues of the Church.

Unless any side wishes to tear my Kingdom apart, I will not judge. But if any man tries to destroy what I have built, be it from whatever Church, Roman, Greek, Nestorian, Arian, it matters not. I will destroy them first.
"

Theodosius barely finished reading the letter, the Royal Servant tore it out of his hands, and held it over a candle, then waited as it burnt into ashes.

The Bishop sighed, turned away, and began his long journey, towards Constantinople.
Varasd
Varasd
Admin

https://medeu.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2