Medieval Europe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bithynian Envoys

2 posters

Go down

The Bithynian Envoys Empty The Bithynian Envoys

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:22 am

The Bithynian Envoys Msyxs0T

Bithynian Envoys

Seeing opportunity in establishing relations with nearby nations, envoys were sent out from Constantinople. Kylos Daenius was one such envoy, sent to the Kingdom of Cybelos. He and his small party which consisted of him, a few servants, and 5 soldiers. The soldiers were all equipped as best as possible, and two carried banners: one of the two headed eagle on purple field, and one of the coat of arms of the Corvinus family.

They had made the journey across Greece, and now saw the city of Tyrn in the distance, The first half of their mission nearly at end. As they drew closer there was no doubt that the two banners above them would be seen, and Kylos drew in a deep breath. He was always nervous before these things, mostly because his job depended on him doing well.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

The Bithynian Envoys Empty Re: The Bithynian Envoys

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:52 am

Hail. Spoke what could very easily be assumed as a Knight surrounded by 5 guardsmen, all with an uneasy look to them.

"I am Knight-Taxiarch Cesseus, our guardsmen here spotted your banners. You come from Thrace, no?
This is no trading vessel, why are you here?
If you're seeking only harbor, I would ask that your men disarm and store your swords in the hold for the time being."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:07 am

"Greetings, sir Knight. We have come from the city of Constantinople, upon the edge of Greece where waters separate it from Anatolia. We hail from Bithynia, a Kingdom whose capitol is Constantinople. We have come as we wish to establish diplomatic relations with your nation."

Kylos paused briefly, as if remembering something.

"Ah, where are my manners, my name is Kylos Daenius, and these are my companions. We would be happy to store our arms, as it would be Ill mannered to bring arms into such a meeting.

We come with only peaceful intentions, these banners we carry to make clear who we are. The eagle on purple is the banner of our kingdom, and the other the banner of our king.

We request only a simple lodging, and a chance to meet with your Lord so that we may speak of matters of diplomacy. If you would deny us, we'd ask only to be allowed to resupply and be on our way."
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 am

Hmm... Very well then, Kylos of Constantinople. We can appoint you with lodging, follow me soldier.

Cesseus led his group of guardsmen, who made sure to surround the other group of these Bithynians two on either side, one in the back.
The Knight led them to the guards barracks, where he lead these foreigners inside and to the back of the building, to a desk tucked away under the stairs leading to the upper floor.
Cesseus picked up a quill and began writing on a piece of parchment "Just a moment"  the Knight finished writing, reached to his neck and grabbed a thin rope necklace with a small key attached, Cesseus then unlocked a drawer on the desk, and picked through until he reached his wax and stamp.

"There we are, you can take this to the estate just north of town, there you'll find the residence of Isaac, Duke of Tyrna, give him this letter and he should see to it that you are given lodging. There is a good amount of guards posted there, so don't try anything." "Oh, and here Cesseus pulls out a sack from the desk drawer, and hands it off to his guardsman, that should cover the fee of a cart up to the estate."

"Farewell for now" He says as he ushers them off

As soon as the door closes, Cesseus calls for a runner, hands the young lad a horn "Just in case" and tells him to tail the group up to the Duke's estate.
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 pm

The group thanked the Knight before setting off to the estate. They made way quickly, though they occasionally stopped briefly to look at something they saw. When they arrived at the estate one of them politely knocked on the door, and the group stood waiting.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes? Answered a voice, slowly opening the grand door. There before them stood a servant.

How can I-  the servant stopped upon seeing the wax seal ah, just one moment sirs, please come in.

The servant went up a flight of stairs and disappeared around a corner, leaving the foreigners and the two guardsmen accompanying them.

"Greetings" spoke a booming voice coming from the top of the stairs, pulling the mens attention from the various artworks to the top of the stairs.

"Welcome to my estate, I am Duke Isaac, how may I help you?"
The guardsman approached handing off the sealed letter. "From Sir Cesseus, Sir"

The Duke opened the letter scanning it and the people it described thoroughly. "Right, well, I trust Knight Cesseus was a fair man? Always suspicious, I'm glad to see he didn't turn you away." "You are, all of you quite welcome to stay here with me, I'll see to it that you are granted an audience with our King,.. Alexander, if you were unsure."

"In the meantime, make yourselves comfortable, get some rest, the servants here will wake you when a meal is to be served."

Last edited by Cybelos on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OOC: I'm half awake, so this is pretty vanilla, sry!)
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 pm

The party bowed lightly upon the dukes entrance, and then Kylos spoke unto him:

''Thank you gratiam tuam1, your hospitality is most welcome after our journey here. My name is Kylos Daenius, and as I'm sure Sir Cesseus said in his letter, my companions and I have traveled from Constantinople to seek audience with your king.''

''On behalf of my party, I thank you for your hospitality and for seeing to it that we shall have the audience we request.''

After speaking the group bowed lightly again, and headed off to get some rest.

1: Your Grace in latin. (At least, according to google translate, so probably horribly butchered.)
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:56 am

The Duke waited outside the archway that led into the throne room, dressed in his finest regalia, complete with sword at his side, no imperfections, a very impressive arm, the look of it alone would place its origin as Damascus or if not, a very talented bladesmith.

Duke Isaac saw Kylos approach. He walked closer to the man, as to not be seen from the other side of the arch. "There you are, King Alexander is just inside and then through the doors. A quick note, he is a bit irritated with recent events, the Bogomils have burnt churches and temples and killed many innocent priests in Thessaly, just to the north, and with finding a suitable wife for his son. So please keep this in mind."

"Alright, shall we?" The group walked through the archway towards the two grand doors that separate those of significance from the rest of the world. The two guards posted on either side of the doors, when seeing the Duke, raised a quick fist to their hearts and opened the doors.

A long vert carpet with slight white accents was spread from the doors down towards the throne, placed on a pedestal, just seating for one, surely there was enough room for two? A grand chandelier in the centre of the room, candles all ablaze. Vert curtains sat atop the stained glass windows with just enough sunlight pouring in. A heavenly picture.

The Duke and Kylos approached the throne, though Alexander was currently looking out of the window at the docks. The Duke was silent until Alexander looked over his shoulder. "Well?"

"Your Highness" "If I may introduce Kylos Daenius, Emissary from Constantinople, on behalf of the Kingdom of Bithynia"

"Daenius" spoke Alexander to himself, softly.
"Remind me of your rank in the Kingdom of Bithynia, and tell me why you are here.
A diplomatic mission I have been told, yes, well, I'm sure it's more complicated than that, no?"
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:50 am

Kylos took a deep breath, and then spoke.

"I am a diplomat, part of a group that works directly with the chancellor of Bithynia and the Kings council. I have been sent here as King Varius Corvinus wishes to establish diplomatic relations with your kingdom. Indeed, you are right in that it is more than a mere diplomatic mission. My king has prepared a message he wishes me to read to you, as he has some propositions, if you would allow it."
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:37 am

Alexander decided to let the man stew for a bit. Test his mettle and all that. He's a diplomat, he'd appreciate it, on an official level at least.

Alexander turned back to the window, breathed in some of that sea air. He then walked over to a table where a servant had placed a serving plate with three cups and a pitcher of tea. He poured two cups and handed one to Isaac, he took his and walked back to the window.

"Yes, I would be honored to hear your King's proposition." "And, do try the tea, it's delightful, isn't it, Isaac?" "Mmm" managed Isaac, desperately trying to get his tea down hurriedly "Yes, Your Grace."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Kylos politely declined the offer of tea, as he never had much of an appetite during business such as this. Perhaps it had something to do with the time he almost got his head chopped off, but he put that thought aside.

Kylos had been carrying a box, which he placed on the floor. He then removed from his tunic a scroll, unrolled it, and cleared his throat.

''Greetings and good tidings to you, King Alexander. I would propose an agreement of trade between our two Kingdoms, as I believe it can benefit us both. In addition, I would like to establish at lest semi-regular communication between our two Kingdoms so that we may pursue more in the future.

I also understand that you are in conflict the Bogomil heresy, and that the heretics have taken some hostile action towards you. This heresy has the potential to threaten both our Kingdoms and their people. As such, I would propose that we cooperate our military efforts so as to better combat these heretics and see them removed from the world.

optimum iudicat1''

Kylos then rolled the scroll, and placed it back in his tunic. He picked up the box, and stepped forward.

''My King wishes to give you this gift, as a show of his kindness.''

Kylos knelt before Alexander, and opened the box, revealing what lay within.

Inside the box was a Purple robe, embroidered with gold.

1: Best Regards in Latin, as according to google translate.
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:36 am

"Green is more my color, compliments my eyes I've been told, though perhaps I've gone a bit mad with it?" Alexander says gesturing around the room. The King gives a light laugh "No, of course, thank you, the sentiment is not lost on me, I know the expense of the purple dye used, and I thank you and your King deeply."

Alexander clears his throat and continues "I am always open to trade, we'll work out the logistics later, I am interested in this more you spoke of, interesting indeed. I'll be looking forward to the next correspondence."

"As for these Bogomils, we've been hitting their coastal villages, and ransacking any trade routes of theirs, we've been hesitant to launch a full campaign against these lot as most of them are peasants and it might garner them sympathy. I've also thought of going directly after this Bogomil, but I'm also worried about making a martyr out of him."
Alexander walked back to the window "I don't mean to trouble you with this." "Wait here just a moment."
Alexander walked out the archway leaving Isaac and Kylos alone for a moment. The Duke gave a smile and a slight shrug of his shoulders.

Alexander returned with a small bag that jingled as he walked with it. "Just a few gold and silver staters from the ancient Celts, many great figures of both of our nations past mark these coins. I hope your people appreciate them, keep them safe." " I will also see to it that a shipment of spices from the lands to the east reach Constantinople intended for His Highness, King Varius."
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybelos [ERE] Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:36 am

To Emperor Varius Corvinus,

As part of our ongoing alliance between all of our great nations you would wish to see composure maintained within all of our realms if you are to be their Emperor, am I correct?

I do hope so, if so, there is a matter you could assist me with. The legitimacy of my son's reign has been questioned behind my back, such cowardice, it is not about morals to this misanthropic minority. It is, of course, about power, and an attempt at capturing it.

The reign of my son is legitimate, you know this. Both his mother and I are of Athens and of higher birth. I would however enjoy quelling the fires of this heterodoxy. So, let me get on with it.
I would ask you to confirm that Prince Theon and his mother both are scions of Emperor Maurice and thereto the Justinian Dynasty. We have the papers attached which we believe confirms this.

I did mention the boy's mother, however I am more interested in legitimising my son. We believe you as the holder of the seat of Emperor can confirm this officially.

I look forward to hearing from you, Your Majesty.

Farewell,
King Alexander I
Cybelos [ERE]
Cybelos [ERE]

Back to top Go down

Post by Byzantine_Bithynia Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:48 am

To King Alexander I,

Composure and stability are of great importance, and I see what problems could arise from the situation you've explained. I would be more than willing to legitimize your son, it could only serve to be beneficial to the realm.

Best Regards,

Emperor Varius Corvinus
Byzantine_Bithynia
Byzantine_Bithynia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum